Earlier this December Leo and I decided to escaped work routine for a long weekend. We brainstormed and eventually picked Bratislava. Neither of us had ever been to Slovakia and we didn’t even know very much about the city until we got there, so it was fun to just get lost in the streets and explore as we went.
Bratislava surprised me with its variety and contrasts. Narrow cobbled streets of the old town, big modern buildings and shopping centres, the WWII monument, the castle and the futuristic UFO tower all fit together quite nicely , creating this unique atmosphere all around the city.
I also really enjoyed the food, always rich and tasty – perfect for cold winter days!
I would definetly recommend:
- The Sky Bar: delicious thai food and amazing view (I suppose, there was so much fog the day we went we couldn’t see a thing 😦 );
- Modrá Hviezda: traditional Slovak cuisine just below Bratislava Castle – really good!;
- The Christmas Markets – food and mulled wine everywhere!;
- Moods Bakery & coffee: the right way to start the day.
Here are a few photos I took during our stay.
Really foggy on the first days! ^^
Coat (Petite version – in the sale) – OTK Boots (similar) – Jumper (similar) – Bag
Can you spot the UFO? ^^
A pick of the (endless) things we tried in Bratislava (clockwise):
- Ice Tea at the Sky Bar;
- Pancakes at Moods Bakery & Coffee;
- Something similar to potato rösti with sour cream and pancetta from the Christmas markets. (I can’t remember its name, but it was delicious!).
Back soon for the second part, my favourite: Bratislava by night!